Thursday, March 22, 2007

Chain Link Socks

Do these look like they'd take up a bunch of precious brain cells to knit? I sure thought so when I first saw them!! Even after reading the pattern that was presented in December 2006 at the Six Soxs KAL, I thought it was beyond me.
I have been knitting socks for about 20 years and if it's more than two colors I get cold hands and feet! So strange since I can adjust the number cast on to the type of heel and toe I want, etc, without blinking an eye!
Okay, I thought...I'm going to just knit it and not think about fainting or panicking. At least, it was cuff down.
I cast on long-tail using 2 needles, US size 0 in bamboo, held together (so the cuff would get around my heel). I had some lovely Lorna's Laces yarn in Brick and Natural. When the k2, p2 ribbing was finished, I took a deep breath, looked at the pattern and sighed with relief. The pattern, itself, was a slip stitch pattern to make those beautiful chains! Okay, I can do this!
As you can see, they turned out pretty good, even if I DO say so myself. I sure could have saved myself a lot of grief, if I had done more than skimmed over the pattern.
Don't cheat yourself out of a fantastic pattern that you, and/or, your whole family will enjoy. You can even adjust the number of chains you wish to use. The finished socks, from all the other participants, are so much fun to see. It's great to see the choice of colors and yarns used, too.
Once again, it's never too late to join the group (click on link above) for an abundance of excellent patterns.

5 comments:

  1. This turned out so beautiful! Sometimes there's patterns out there that seem almost impossibly complicated to make - but I guess we should always at least give them a try! Some tries will fail terribly, but some will turn out to be possible to handle - and the result will be so worth it like your socks are! Fantatic work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear that after all these years, you still struggle. I find comfort with that knowledge. And I am hardly one to back down from a challenge.

    I caught the end of this KAL, but loved the sock and have them in my "to do" list.

    Yours are beautiful, but then you are a wonderfully talented knister bud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cast on those socks this week. I LOVE slip stitch or fair isle socks, so I don't know why I waited so long to cast on for these. I'm using leftovers from my lace socks & leftovers of a Regia solid sock yarn. I hope I have enough leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well imagine my surprise when I am going through your blog and come to socks knit with my pattern. Its a glorious feeling. thanks so much for trying them and liking them. You did a wonderful job on them.

    ReplyDelete

I am SO looking forward to reading your comment!!! Thank you for leaving one!